James J. Garvey Undergraduate English Language Scholarship
CLA Dean's Office, English, English UndergradDonate
Professor James (Jim) Garvey taught linguistics, grammar, semantics, pragmatics, discourse analysis, history of English, humanities and literature at Colorado State University for 34 years. He was especially interested in first and second language teaching, usage issues, gender in language, literary stylistics and child language acquisitions. He is the author, with Gerald P. Delahunty, of the book Communication, Language, and Grammar: a Course for Teachers.Criteria:
- Full-time undergraduate in the College of Liberal Arts
- Minimum 3.3 GPA in English courses
- Demonsrates financial need
- Interest in diversity
- Documented interest & coursework in English Language(minimum 6 credit hours), i.e., a declared language concentration, teaching licensure concentration, or the following courses or their equivalent: Introduction to Study of Language; English Language for Teachers I and/or II; Development of the English Language; and Teaching English as Second Language
- An interest in diversity (broadly specified by race, ethnicity, gender, politics, religion, age, single parent, language) must be demonstrated.
- Applicant must submit one essay of approximately 500 words addressing their commitment to diversity
- Applicant must submit one letter of recommendation from an English faculty member in one of the concentrations or courses listed above.
- Preference given to applicants with first generation status
The Colorado State University Scholarship application is available online from December 1 until March 1 of each academic year. To access the application:
- Log into RAMweb using your eID
- Look under Financial Information in the right hand column
- Select “CSUSA” and fill in the form