Position Announcement: Instructors
English | February 25, 2012
Instructors in Composition, Creative Writing, Linguistics, Literature and Pedagogy
- MA required
- College teaching experience required
- A PhD or equivalent is prerequisite for teaching advanced literature courses
Duties: The teaching load for instructors is 1-4 sections each semester. Typically, instructors will teach College Composition, and a range of other composition and lower-division English classes. Instructors will be expected to meet departmental objectives for the courses they teach. Course descriptions are available on the English Department Web page at http://english.colostate.edu/
Salary and Contract Terms: Instructors will be hired on semester-to-semester or year-long contracts. The salary starts at $3,974 per section. All positions are subject to funding availability.
General Information: The English Department at CSU has a tenure-track faculty of 35, approximately 500 undergraduate majors, and more than 140 graduate students. The department appoints more than 35 graduate assistants who teach creative and expository writing and English as a second language. Undergraduate concentrations in creative writing, English education, language, literature, and writing lead to a B.A. in English. Master of Arts degrees are offered in creative nonfiction, English education, literature, rhetoric and composition, and TESL/TEFL. A Master of Fine Arts is offered in creative writing. For further information, visit the Department home page at http://english.colostate.edu/.
Applicants should write to Dr. Louann Reid, Chair, Department of English, Colorado State University, 1773 Campus Delivery, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523-1773. Direct questions to Sue Russell, at (970) 491-1898 or Sue.Russell@colostate.edu.
Applicants may submit materials at any time. For full consideration for Fall 2012, please submit applications by February 15, 2012. The 2012-13 instructor general pool will expire on February 14, 2013. You will need to reapply each year to be added to the following academic year’s instructor general pool.
Please include these materials in your application:
- a letter of application that outlines your teaching experience and range of teaching interests, particularly those courses you are interested in teaching at CSU as well as the number of sections you would like to teach;
- a detailed résumé or c.v.;
- three recent (written in the last 3-5 years) letters of reference that speak to teaching;
- documentation of your post-baccalaureate degree (e.g., a photocopy of your diploma; a transcript that notes the degree conferred);
- recent supporting materials that indicate teaching quality in each of 4 categories:
- written reports of classroom observations,
- student evaluations,
- three student papers with a range of grades in response to a single assignment (one paper an “A,” one a “B,” and one below “B”). Please also include a narrative describing the assignment and grading criteria (up to one page). Explain how the assignment fits into the overall picture of the course;
- a street address, phone number, and email address where you can be reached during both the school year and the summer.
Colorado State University is an EO/EA/AA Employer and conducts background checks on all final candidates.